Total Pageviews

Tuesday 19 April 2011

Bookworm

If Fashion is my first love, Music has always played a close second (I actually don't think you can separate the two, they always influence each other, for me anyway they go hand in hand, and I couldn't live without either)

Just finished the biography of Kurt Cobain- I loved Nirvana when they came out, the perfect embodiment of my teenage angst and the second wave of amazing bands I could claim as my own (the first wave being The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays etc)  baggy came just as I came of age which was a thrill, as every band I loved before then were from past generations (The Stones, Hendrix, even Motley Crue being from the 80's were before my time enough to feel like a different generation entirely)



I read the one by Charles R Cross, and its a really good, very indepth, poor old Kurt - I really felt for my fellow Piscean - we are such sensitive souls, I think we actually have a depth of feeling beyond most people, our intuitive instincts go beyond the normal realms of existence.
This was certainly true of Kurt- trauma in adolescence was a great contributing factor to his unhappiness, as was probable undiagnosed depression and I suspect Celiac disease (as he was plagued with stomach problems they couldn't figure out) not helped by having a bad diet containing 'no green stuff'
His heroin addiction was partly blamed on this- although curiosity led him to try it, and then his stomach was often used as an excuse for self medication
He definately found a kindred spirit in Courtney Love (who actually was a good influence on him, inspiring him and giving him confidence, which is all any of us needs really- to be loved, supported and understood by our partner) we are all looking for our twin soul, and Kurt certainly found his Yang in Courtney

Kurt was also a great advocator of gay rights- something I guess a lot of people wouldn't expect of a punk rock star, he really preached empathy and tolerance- even in his suicide note.
If only his addiction hadn't gotten the better of him, and they could have diagnosed his illness - the world was robbed of a great talent and a wonderful human being, along with the other greats we lost at 27

I thought we had come a long way and that tolerance, empathy and acceptance were pretty much a given these days (an eternal optimist, I'm always surprised when anyone is racist or homophobic) but sadly it seems Homophobia is alive and well, judging by two horrible instances recently- the first being the attack on Philip Sallon in Piccadilly on April 2nd (not far from where Ian Baynham was kicked to death by two teenage girls - unbelievably)

No CCTV (which is fairly ludicrous considering the threat of terrorism and the fact its Central London) Philip suffered a fractured skull, but is on the mend (thankfully, he could have easily been killed)
I've met Philip on numerous occasions, he is a lovely man, very peaceful and open and a national treasure on the London club scene. I hope they catch an severely punish whoever committed this vile attack.
Then last week we have the John Snow pub throwing out a gay couple for kissing! a protest was organised, and scuppered (but they had to close, so at least it hit them in the till)
All I can think is that frustration and anger over the state of our nation and the financial situation we have all been placed in is manifesting itself as anger towards groups seen as being 'on the outside' or 'easy targets'
If people are really angry, they should protest where its applicable- join UK Uncut, let the bankers and government know you are angry and do something that might actually make a difference. Don't take it out on people just living their lives.
Maybe its jealousy as the gays have the best parties? ;-)

This weeks reading matter is:





Top book: Teenage by Jon Savage- the creation of youth 1875 - 1945
I love sociology, particularly youth culture, this one goes back even further than I've ever looked- right back to the beginning and I'm fascinated to see how these previous generations led us to where we are today- if the teenager was supposedly created in the 50's (more actually by marketing men, as it was the first time they had a disposable income and were therefor able to be targeted as consumers)
it will be very interesting to see how we got to that point, and how they found their outlets.....

Missing the Mr this week, he is off in NYC, rebranding some ad company, clever sausage...its only the second day he has been away and I'm sooo bored!! sleeping in the middle of the bed and cooking for one, meh!

No comments:

Post a Comment